New suspension bits and race report...

Rodolfo

What kind of straight are on your track, for you needing 43 teeth, were you hitting the limiter on 6th gear?

I just order 46 sprocket, and the track almost has a 1/2 a mile straigt, coming out of a fourth gear corner.

Last edited:

Wicked Chicken

In order to stay in the supersport class, I have to use the stock forks, but I can do anything inside the tubes. These are the street, non cup forks with no adjustment modified with cartridges inside and fully adjustable caps.
Just curious if you tried to make the case with Tech on WP Suspension?

My take is the WP's are "stock" for all intensive purposes. I've seen two pieces of KTM propaganda to support this claim. Most Super Sport rules should allow the WP.

SPG

Most SS/SB rules I've seen require race prepped, US market street legal bikes, readily available from a dealer. The cup bike is not street legal as sold. The fact that is is pretty much equivalent to the street legal bike might give a little room for argument, but it does not strictly comply. Also, you would not be able to swap out the regular forks to cup forks and still be SS legal. Once again, the fact that you can put a (likely better) set of 25mm cartridges in the stock forks makes this a little easier to argue, but still an argument. I'd love to pick up a Cup bike but until I confirm I can race it, I'll be holding off.
-Sean

ryandalling

If the fork externals are the same on the Cup bike... then we'd let it in at OMRRA. The race tail is allowed per our rule book. The only argument I'd see would be if those forks are really different... I'm on the rule committee and the track referee.... so I'd probably allow it, but talking with the board now to make sure they don't dissent and I'm not making a ruling that favors me... but I am making sure the rules change for next year to specifically call it out as legal.

Wicked Chicken

The two pieces of data to back up WP Suspension is in the Power Parts catalog. In that its description of Wp Forks is they are externally the same as production and internally different. Note; no spring preloaded adjusters on the Power Parts forks.
And lastly KTM Factory specs sheet list front forks as WP Suspension and rear as WP Suspension.

Wicked Chicken

Now I'm wondering if emulators, springs and cap adjusters of production forks might be the way to go. WP gives you Comp and Rebound but no preload. Gotta shim or swap the springs. Tubes are exactly the same so I don't think there's weight a advantage either way.

ryandalling

KFG will have some of the cap adjusters and emulators ready soon if you don't want the full cartridges. (IE. Cheaper way to go.) I think they are just trying to judge who wants what before they do the production. Their product is top notch.

ryandalling

I'd vote that the cup bikes will be SS and SB legal in most race groups. I'm working on making sure they will be here at OMRRA.

SPG

The Cup forks are externally different in that the fork bottoms appear to be machined and have the compression adjusters. Both are WP parts, but just different WP parts. Also, the cup forks are preload adjustable.

SPG

Also, the brakes are 320mm instead of 300. Probably not a huge practical difference. The calipers are held out by spacers, so one could probably put on the 300mm disk if needed for equity in class racing.

Wicked Chicken

The Cup forks are externally different in that the fork bottoms appear to be machined and have the compression adjusters. Both are WP parts, but just different WP parts. Also, the cup forks are preload adjustable.
I'll have to look at the caps again for preload, they didn't appear to have a spring adjustment there. Maybe its not a "normal" looking adjuster.
I'm willing to bet stocks with all the bits vs. Cup suspension won't be to far from each other performance wise. Cost however is huge! fml