OEM decal removal

KBear

Country flag
2016 RC390

For the longest time I wanted to eliminate the gray "Read your Owners Manual before riding the motorcycle" decal off the back of the gas tank cover. Well, about a week ago I got out the hair dryer and finally took that darn thing off. Well, now that it's off there is a faint (how do I say this) image of that removed decal left on the plastic tank cover. Man, I've tried several things. I tried fingernail polish remover, and several other things. I waxed and waxed and waxed and waxed but that ghost shadow image is still there where I took that ugly decal off.

Any ideas on how I may eliminate that ghosting image from the back of the tank cover where the decal was?????

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Could it be that the rest of the tank cover has faded from UV exposure? If so, time and exposure may even it out. Or not.

KBear

Country flag
Could it be that the rest of the tank cover has faded from UV exposure? If so, time and exposure may even it out. Or not.
Thank you ReidMcT. Well it's actually the other way around. The tank is dark and where the decal was it's lighter. I used a rubber erasing wheel on it today and put about five coats of wax on the area where the decal was. It doesn't look as bad as it did before and I guess I have to live with it as is.

2016 RC390

For the longest time I wanted to eliminate the gray "Read your Owners Manual before riding the motorcycle" decal off the back of the gas tank cover. Well, about a week ago I got out the hair dryer and finally took that darn thing off. Well, now that it's off there is a faint (how do I say this) image of that removed decal left on the plastic tank cover. Man, I've tried several things. I tried fingernail polish remover, and several other things. I waxed and waxed and waxed and waxed but that ghost shadow image is still there where I took that ugly decal off.

Any ideas on how I may eliminate that ghosting image from the back of the tank cover where the decal was?????

I'll tell you this. The paint on these bikes sucks. I removed all of my stickers and it took off some of the paint, and revealed a sh*t ton of scratches.

KBear

Country flag
I'll tell you this. The paint on these bikes sucks. I removed all of my stickers and it took off some of the paint, and revealed a sh*t ton of scratches.
Man, I'm sorry to hear that bud. I wish all these imperfections everyone talks about on this forum wouldn't be so. You hate to hear that these bikes we like so well have all this stuff goin' on with them. I have another ongoing thread on here about my clutch cable breaking at the clutch lever and I'm not sure why that happened. Just need to keep moving on I guess.