Requesting Interest

Hypergolic

Guy's I just signed up for this forum. I own a KTM dealership in Louisville. I'm not on the forum to plug my shop just to ask about interest. We have already delivered 4 RC 390's in the last week and we are very impressed with the product. We have torn a bike all the way down and are working on developing a drop in power-up kit. I wanted to let it be know and see if anyone would be interested. The kit would contain a drop-in high comp piston, a pair of high lift cams that would be exchanged with your original, a PCV that will contain two custom maps, a thinner head/base gasket and K&N air filter. On our dyno the stock bike puts down 40.5 to the rear wheel, with Akra exhaust and K&N filter the bike put down 42.5 to the rear on the KTM mapping (which needs work). We are planing to up the compression to over 14.0:1 and reach 50ish plus on good fuel at the rear wheel. We expect kits to cost in the $1700 range. Please give me some feed back.
Thanks Ed

I plan to race my RC390. I am interested but would like to do some things first before doing a tear down and engine build. Can I sugest you have some different level kits so we can work up to a full on 50ish HP? parillaguy

Hypergolic

"U-Bet-Cha", hope I did not break any copy write laws with that, but Fargo was such a cool movie. We have lots of options. I will get Chad our Tech-Development-Director, to get involved on this forum and bring you up to date on what he has been working on. I know he is working on products and options to increase performance without installing the power-up kit, they will just be smaller gains.

jd5

I would be interested in the modifications you suggested. A couple of questions: would you do them on one of the new bikes in your inventory or do them on a customer's existing bike. I have a deposit on mine in CT and am still awaiting arrival. Also, do you all do any advanced suspension work? Finally, when you say "good fuel" do you mean race fuel or high (93) octane pump gas? BTW, are you from Commonwealth? If so, I was looking online this morning for an engine rebuild shop and came across your site. Was thinking about exactly the upgrades you are contemplating.

micahpearlman

I plan to run production class until I need a rebuild and then will build the motor like you describe and move on to super bike and formula classes. Though there are a couple of things on that list that would be useful until then:

* In California none of my local KTM dealers will re-flash my ECU for the Akrapovic exhaust because of the CARB restrictions. pparently they have been laying hefty fines and so now shops won't even risk it even though there is a race exemption. They say even if I show them a DMV non-op they won't do it. So being able to send the ECU out of state to get flashed would be nice. (In fact they wouldn't sell me an exhaust I ordered out of state on eBay).

* You mentioned a mapping a Power Commander. You may have had better luck then me but I wasn't able to find anyone actually selling a PC-V for the RC390. I did find the PowerTRONIC and should have it in a couple of days. The PowerTRONIC seems to be what most people are using worldwide for the 390. So maps for the PowerTRONIC would be great.

Some other things that you might want to consider that is on my wish list:

* The current piggyback ECU's can't really do anything when the bike is running in closed loop mode (anything below 5K RPM). Reports I've been hearing (I don't have a bike yet) is that the transition from map mode to closed loop mode, especially after tuning with a piggyback, is pretty awful. So a piggyback for the Lambda sensor would be great. Really what would be great is a complete race only ECU and get rid of the locked down Bosch unit.

* Wheel sizes so it can run Moto3/125 slicks.

* Production legal fork cartridge kits.

* Body work. (I can't even get a race seat for the bike -- it's on back order and stupid expensive).

* Kit for getting rid of the ABS. (I know its not hard but I need to pull it off measure what I need and special order it -- would be nice to have a complete kit with instructions...)

Last edited:

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Hi all and thanks for having us! I will give some background on us and I. We are Commonwealth as asked about previously, I am Chad. I have 15 years of building and tuning experience, in road racing, AMA SX/MX, AMA Pro flat track, routine service etc. The "kit" is already in the works/process. I have collected dyno data in various states of 'trim'. I think the stock engine platform is pretty impressive but has room for improvement.... Will continue to keep all informed of progress. The engine is out the bike, all spec'ed/measured. Stock piston and head are on way to be scanned/digitized for new piston, cams are on way for inspection for hard weld/re-grind. New gaskets thicknesses have been determined and will be sending old ones out for new tooling. I am working on some other odds and ends too for them, a factory pro shift kit (arm and spring), brake lines like mentioned above, and DJ quick shifter. Open to other items/parts/pieces you all would like to see/have.

Last edited:

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I plan to race my RC390. I am interested but would like to do some things first before doing a tear down and engine build. Can I sugest you have some different level kits so we can work up to a full on 50ish HP? parillaguy

"I'' wouldn't call it a tear down just top end direct swap parts. Gaskets might possibly be available separately, which will bump compression and work with stock piston. Seems like a lot of work to not replace piston and cams while they're out in hand if doing gaskets. Pcv will be available alone too. If you haven't purchased your Akra system yet or air filter we can supply you with those too. I'm not sure that there are "levels" it's either just external normal bolt ons or with the "kit" is the only level. Let me know if I can clarify or missed something.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I would be interested in the modifications you suggested. A couple of questions: would you do them on one of the new bikes in your inventory or do them on a customer's existing bike. I have a deposit on mine in CT and am still awaiting arrival. Also, do you all do any advanced suspension work? Finally, when you say "good fuel" do you mean race fuel or high (93) octane pump gas? BTW, are you from Commonwealth? If so, I was looking online this morning for an engine rebuild shop and came across your site. Was thinking about exactly the upgrades you are contemplating.

We can do mods to our new inventory IF we have it :). We will perform them on customer's bike too, you can send the bike in or purchase the "kit" or parts from us to install yourself or at your preferred service center. We do advanced suspension as well. I have a set of full WP forks and shock on hand for the current customer build. I haven't even opened boxes yet. The engine R&D took priority just because I wanted to get ball rolling and new piston/gaskets will take 5 weeks or so do get done. I will look into suspension next week probably. Regarding fuel, it will run on premium pump gas on kit just fine, to make big numbers it will be on MR-12. PCV will have maps for both.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I plan to run production class until I need a rebuild and then will build the motor like you describe and move on to super bike and formula classes. Though there are a couple of things on that list that would be useful until then:

* In California none of my local KTM dealers will re-flash my ECU for the Akrapovic exhaust because of the CARB restrictions. pparently they have been laying hefty fines and so now shops won't even risk it even though there is a race exemption. They say even if I show them a DMV non-op they won't do it. So being able to send the ECU out of state to get flashed would be nice. (In fact they wouldn't sell me an exhaust I ordered out of state on eBay).

* You mentioned a mapping a Power Commander. You may have had better luck then me but I wasn't able to find anyone actually selling a PC-V for the RC390. I did find the PowerTRONIC and should have it in a couple of days. The PowerTRONIC seems to be what most people are using worldwide for the 390. So maps for the PowerTRONIC would be great.

Some other things that you might want to consider that is on my wish list:

* The current piggyback ECU's can't really do anything when the bike is running in closed loop mode (anything below 5K RPM). Reports I've been hearing (I don't have a bike yet) is that the transition from map mode to closed loop mode, especially after tuning with a piggyback, is pretty awful. So a piggyback for the Lambda sensor would be great. Really what would be great is a complete race only ECU and get rid of the locked down Bosch unit.

* Wheel sizes so it can run Moto3/125 slicks.

* Production legal fork cartridge kits.

* Body work. (I can't even get a race seat for the bike -- it's on back order and stupid expensive).

* Kit for getting rid of the ABS. (I know its not hard but I need to pull it off measure what I need and special order it -- would be nice to have a complete kit with instructions...)

I can load the KTM Akra map in yours or anyones ecu if your state is troublesome. Side note the Akra map raises rev limit 250 rpm as well over stock, and turns off EVAP solenoid.

You are correct the PCV is not available 'yet' but is in production (has been tested) and it will have ignition and rev xtend. Not 100% sure wether it will be an O2 eliminator or emulator but anything is better then the active O2 currently. Also am working on being able to read/write the Bosch ecu, it's used in other manufactures cycles. The piggyback is for the meantime, I always tune at an ecu level when possible. The transition now from closed to open on Akra map isn't the best for sure.

I know the KTM tail/seat will be available 4/15 (I think best of memory) not sure on price. I'm not sure that we'll tackle things of that nature that are already made...

Making lines to bypass ABS modulator valve will be done as well. Nothing new there. Just need to get measurements to have new ones made for master to caliper F and R. If there is enough interest I can have made and on hand for you all. ABS module has to remain on the bike ecu/wiring wise... Lines are a day a way!

Wheels are off radar at the moment but thanks for alerting us to that.

Fork cartridges have been discussed a bit. Ohlins told me they have no plans to build 30s for it (currently). With that being said we've had custom cart kits done before but for a small batch of 30's they will cost more than the full WP fork. If you have to have a set legality wise, you can pm me or call the shop and we can talk price.

micahpearlman

I can load the KTM Akra map in yours or anyones ecu if your state is troublesome. Side note the Akra map raises rev limit 250 rpm as well over stock, and turns off EVAP solenoid.

You are correct the PCV is not available 'yet' but is in production (has been tested) and it will have ignition and rev xtend. Not 100% sure wether it will be an O2 eliminator or emulator but anything is better then the active O2 currently. Also am working on being able to read/write the Bosch ecu, it's used in other manufactures cycles. The piggyback is for the meantime, I always tune at an ecu level when possible. The transition now from closed to open on Akra map isn't the best for sure.

I know the KTM tail/seat will be available 4/15 (I think best of memory) not sure on price. I'm not sure that we'll tackle things of that nature that are already made...

Making lines to bypass ABS modulator valve will be done as well. Nothing new there. Just need to get measurements to have new ones made for master to caliper F and R. If there is enough interest I can have made and on hand for you all. ABS module has to remain on the bike ecu/wiring wise... Lines are a day a way!

Wheels are off radar at the moment but thanks for alerting us to that.

Fork cartridges have been discussed a bit. Ohlins told me they have no plans to build 30s for it (currently). With that being said we've had custom cart kits done before but for a small batch of 30's they will cost more than the full WP fork. If you have to have a set legality wise, you can pm me or call the shop and we can talk price.

If you had the ABS elimination kit available tomorrow I'd order it. I'm lazy.

I'm still waiting for the bike (California seems to always lag behind others in new bike releases -- probably another BS CARB thing). But I would send you guys the ECU to get mapped the moment I get it (or if it is too close to a race the day after the race). There are 14 bikes with deposits on them from my dealer alone and apparently most of them are race bikes that are going to have the same issues as myself. Cracking the ECU to allow non-factory supplied maps would be huge (as well as being able to tune the O2 circuit lambda).

The cartridges are theoretically important because technically the Hard Parts full adjustable WP forks aren't legal in production and the cartridges are. But if someone wants to put out $300 to protest me on that... well... still debating with my moral compass on that one...

I've got the race lower and double bubble wind screen and rear sets are supposed to come in end of the month, but can't seem to find a race seat. If you could get a race seat, would be happy to order from you...

In general what I think you are planning is awesome and like I said I'd eventually get it once the motor is done for prod racing. Big bore kits (surprised Athena hasn't come out with one) and/or stroker crank would be interesting as well.

Just curious on what you guys think the longevity of the bottom end is on a built motor? I noticed they are actually de-tuning the cup bikes. Also, I know people road racing built 450's and they are having to do a full tear down every weekend and measuring run out on the crank, eating transmissions, and just having todo a lot of work to keep them alive...

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
If you had the ABS elimination kit available tomorrow I'd order it. I'm lazy.

I'm still waiting for the bike (California seems to always lag behind others in new bike releases -- probably another BS CARB thing). But I would send you guys the ECU to get mapped the moment I get it (or if it is too close to a race the day after the race). There are 14 bikes with deposits on them from my dealer alone and apparently most of them are race bikes that are going to have the same issues as myself. Cracking the ECU to allow non-factory supplied maps would be huge (as well as being able to tune the O2 circuit lambda).

The cartridges are theoretically important because technically the Hard Parts full adjustable WP forks aren't legal in production and the cartridges are. But if someone wants to put out $300 to protest me on that... well... still debating with my moral compass on that one...

I've got the race lower and double bubble wind screen and rear sets are supposed to come in end of the month, but can't seem to find a race seat. If you could get a race seat, would be happy to order from you...

In general what I think you are planning is awesome and like I said I'd eventually get it once the motor is done for prod racing. Big bore kits (surprised Athena hasn't come out with one) and/or stroker crank would be interesting as well.

Just curious on what you guys think the longevity of the bottom end is on a built motor? I noticed they are actually de-tuning the cup bikes. Also, I know people road racing built 450's and they are having to do a full tear down every weekend and measuring run out on the crank, eating transmissions, and just having todo a lot of work to keep them alive...

I am going to measure and order front and rear lines today. I need to get a feel for how many sets are wanted. The race seat/tail will be available middle of this month I have several on order. Stay tuned for a post with a link and info to our site to purchase accessories. "I" wouldn't use an Athena big bore kit. I did measure cylinder wall thickness and there is plenty of room in stock cylinder for 3-4mm over. IF there is enough interest we can do a big bore kit too. I decided to keep stock bore on these kits for straight drop in application, sometimes cylinder work scares people off. The 450's are making 60 hp and don't have cush drives in the rear wheel (wrecking trans). The crank in 390 is robust, rod is adequate I believe for this level of power. The longevity/reliability on these kits should not be an issue. Also looking into other brake ''things" :)

KxK

I'm interested at seeing how this turns out, it seems interesting and fun enough - I'd be worried about longevity myself. Which you addressed but durability and maintenance time is always a factors with my and making decisions,

ASM

Hi all and thanks for having us! I will give some background on us and I. We are Commonwealth as asked about previously, I am Chad. I have 15 years of building and tuning experience, in road racing, AMA SX/MX, AMA Pro flat track, routine service etc.

I personally know Chad and his work and I happily recommend him to anyone looking into engine work. He is working on my track RC390 as we speak...

DCMoney

Country flag
Did you guys weigh the bike before tearing it down?

Would like to know what the race trim bike is going to weigh!

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Did you guys weigh the bike before tearing it down?

Would like to know what the race trim bike is going to weigh!

I did not... Might have been a little trigger happy to get apart! Have more stockers floating around will get one weighed out of box street prepped in future. I can tell you it will be LIGHT though ;)

mr-fabricator

Count me in , was lookingbto drop a duke 690 engine in but this would make it a lot simpler :)
PS , my bike is track only and with 3l of fuel it weighs 147kg

i have the power parts front disc to change over wich will save a bit more , im still on stock plastics , rear seat and exhaust but with the cat knocked out .. i recon u could get the bike down to 140 without to much trouble .

I cant chop the loom because of regs , will make a dummy aluminium rear disc , lighter brake lines , bit of trimming here and there . Its quick enough even with me riding , unoficial lap record holder at Barbagallo without realy trying . Absoloutly kills the ninja 300

Lee

Last edited:

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Update on 'kit' parts. OE piston/head/cylinder are being digitized, new piston is being drawn. New cam numbers have been decided, and are in line to be welded/ground. New gaskets will be in tooling next week hopefully. The PCV unit will be done mid May for me, I was told. Don't have a definite ETA on PCV to public yet, wish I did so we could have a good tuning solution soon. I can't wait to get this back together and see what we can get it to do on the dyno!