Strange noises...what to check?

john13

Country flag
Okay peeps...this is going to sound vague but this is all I have.

My bike is sounding weird and riding weird.

First off, backstory/mods: Gaffer 320 rotor, PCV, open airbox, removed that stupid hose, manual cam chain tensioner.

Did the airbox mod, got used to the nice growl and intake noise. Now it sounds strange and seems like the fueling is off. Sounds more mechanical too-like maybe more metal on metal contact?

Also the ABS light has come on and won't go away when I ride. I parked my bike on the street for a couple days and someone messed with my lever and mirror-then the rotor started moaning again(if you have the 320 rotor you'll understand the low speed (<2mph) moan).

Two unrelated things I think but I'm feeling paranoid and worried about my baby.

Am I going crazy? Everything looks okay visually and the oil level is okay. What else can I check to make sure I haven't/won't ruin my bike?

Thanks for the feedback and tips!

isaac_

Audio of noise would help.

You said you have the manual cam chain tensioner. I wonder if the tensioner is loose and what you hear is the chain slapping around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isaac_

That being said... most of the time...were our own worst enemies on this. Don’t over think it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john13

Country flag
I have determined that the additional noise is a buzzing sound, especially when decelerating. Might just be my imagination.

That was my first though but it is still nice and secure. Probably just my imagination. I do need to get my abs light checked out though. Some kind of issue there

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Okay peeps...this is going to sound vague but this is all I have.
My bike is sounding weird and riding weird.
First off, backstory/mods: Gaffer 320 rotor, PCV, open airbox, removed that stupid hose, manual cam chain tensioner.
Did the airbox mod, got used to the nice growl and intake noise. Now it sounds strange and seems like the fueling is off. Sounds more mechanical too-like maybe more metal on metal contact?

Which map are you running for your PCv or if you built it yourself where and how?

These things are FICKLE when it comes to running lean / hot and the airbox mod requires a good map to keep everything happy. It's an awesome mod to be sure, but if you aren't running a map built with a LOT of attention to the AFR you can have issues. Mechanical noise is probably related to your cam chain I would think. The other standard-ish types of issues folks run into is the clutch basket nut backing off, so if you have a mechanical noise, it can very easily be something loose which is now judiciously wearing through something else.

Lever and mirror being messed with... ABS light won't go off... AND the rotor started growling at the same time... you SURE somebody didn't knock the bike over and then just stand it back up? How was the lever and mirror "messed with"? Do you have any evidence of the rotor having contacted something like the ground, curb, whatever? If it were me, I'd put a dial indicator on the rotor and give the wheel a spin and make sure it isn't warped. The ABS sensor could have been damaged if the bike got knocked over just as easily. Should be pretty easy to spot if the sensor was been damaged / misaligned.

john13

Country flag
I'm running the map provided by Chad for the open airbox and ~stock. Quality map I've been very happy with.

Ya I have adjustable levers and one was flipped up (right side) and my mirror was moved(left side). Very strange. I investigated and everything looks ok, body wheels, rotor, etc. But now the ABS light. I was digging in my manual but couldn't find anything about the ABS sensor. Where about is that located? What would I check?

Thanks for the help all!

Tom

Let's start with the easy stuff, have you checked the abs fuse? Also, flip to page 99 on the owners manual and check to see if your chain or chain guide are in the conditions displayed there, this may explain your buzzing noise.

Edit, also the buzzing could be vibrations from the fairings or wind screen. Give the bolts a good once over with the hex wrench that came with the bike. Dont go incredible hulk though. While you're at it, check how loose the mirror that got messed with is compared to the other.

Last edited: