Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
A quick flip through my books at work show 4 tires available in a 140-70-17
Pirelli Rosso II
Bridgestone BT-003, S-20
Continental Conti-Attack SM
I have mixed feelings about the S-20 because it is a hypersport- hypermile tire. Then the conti should work great in theory but running a dedicated SM tire on a sportbike still feels wrong.

I raced a Honda CBR250 on the Pirelli Rosso II and they stuck real well. They were even fine in the rain. I am giving serious thought to slicks for the RC390. A set of slicks for a RS125 GP bike should fit and provide excellent traction. Down side is having to have rain tires too. parillaguy

guzz46

I raced a Honda CBR250 on the Pirelli Rosso II and they stuck real well. They were even fine in the rain. I am giving serious thought to slicks for the RC390. A set of slicks for a RS125 GP bike should fit and provide excellent traction. Down side is having to have rain tires too. parillaguy

Are you sure RS125 tyres would fit? I considered that option too, but running them cut for the road, but according to the Honda manual the RS125 uses a 90 front, and a 120 rear, and the RS250 uses a 120 front, and a 165 rear, can you even get slicks in a 110, and a 140?

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Are you sure RS125 tyres would fit? I considered that option too, but running them cut for the road, but according to the Honda manual the RS125 uses a 90 front, and a 120 rear, and the RS250 uses a 120 front, and a 165 rear, can you even get slicks in a 110, and a 140?

Look to the supermoto world, I think they are around that size.

Jpedulla

I believe the stock rear tire, Rosso II 150/60ZR17, of the Rc390 is too skinny. I'd like to change it to the max width without changing the 4 inch rim. Has anyone changed the stock tire to a wider one?

ryandalling

The Diablo SuperCorsas fit and they are DOT race tires... they have a 160 that fits... but I left the Rosso II on in the back and put the SuperCorsa on in front... love that combo on the track... sticky, and long lasting.

emeglasson

I am also looking for an upgrade for the track, and am having trouble finding many options. Just to give you a feel for sizes of the stock tire vs a 160 Supercorsa...I mounted a 160 Supercorsa on my supermoto over the weekend. It has the same width rear rim. The stock Diablo Rosso tire on the RC390 is about 137 mm wide at the widest, while the Diablo Supercorsa measure about 151mm. It looks like the 160 Supercorsa would physically fit on the 390 (clear the swingarm and plastic) but I have no idea how that profile would feel.

I may give it a shot just out of curiosity. Also, I can get them form my local motoshop, and I like supporting them.

The other readily avaialbel option is the Dunlop Unbeaten 02. They come in the stock 110 and 150 sizes, and can be had at a pretty fantastic price from race tire service in the U.S.

I haven't ridden either on the track.

petizo1

Was surprised after some great twisties today how big chicken strips were on stock pirellis...I don't have chicken strips on my street triple r at all. Do the 140's have better tire usage when on its side? Better profile?

guzz46

Was surprised after some great twisties today how big chicken strips were on stock pirellis...I don't have chicken strips on my street triple r at all. Do the 140's have better tire usage when on its side? Better profile?

Yes, I believe the 150's too big for the rim, I installed a 140/70 and now the whole tyre gets used, just like the front, it also adds a little more ground clearance.

reenmachine

Country flag

Yes, I believe the 150's too big for the rim, I installed a 140/70 and now the whole tyre gets used, just like the front, it also adds a little more ground clearance.

Explain to me why this is an issue (I actually don't understand). Wouldn't it be better to still have a full-size contact patch at full lean? No chicken strips means you're to/off the edge of the tire and reducing your contact patch when you need it most. What am I missing?

guzz46

Explain to me why this is an issue (I actually don't understand). Wouldn't it be better to still have a full-size contact patch at full lean? No chicken strips means you're to/off the edge of the tire and reducing your contact patch when you need it most. What am I missing?

I'm no trye expert, but this is my take on it, a motorcycle trye is designed to have a certain profile, some have more of a round profile, and some have more of a triangular profile, eg... a bigger contact patch when lent over, when you use a trye that's too big for the rim it alters its profile, you're pulling the beads of the tyre closer together than it was originally designed for, and the edge of the tyre gets pulled around with it, that's why you have chicken strips, you can still ride it with no problems, you may not even notice a difference, bit its not ideal.

I used to have a Suzuki TL1000S years ago, I believe it came with a 190 rear tyre from the factory (probably because a bigger tyre looks cooler) I put on a 180 and it improved the bikes handling, quicker turn in/more responsive, I'm guessing because the 180 was more triangular, and generally speaking the wider the tyre the more round it is (look at those massive 250 rear tyres on those custom bikes) so you're not necessarily reducing the contact patch, in some cases the contact patch when lent over may actually be slightly bigger.

Manbeard

I used to ride a tl1000r and I too replaced the rear with a thinner one for better agility. I do have some chicken strips on the rc stock tires but that's just cause I'm not a trackday rider so lack skill to do knee downs in every corner...

b0Xcrash

I'm no trye expert, but this is my take on it, a motorcycle trye is designed to have a certain profile, some have more of a round profile, and some have more of a triangular profile, eg... a bigger contact patch when lent over, when you use a trye that's too big for the rim it alters its profile, you're pulling the beads of the tyre closer together than it was originally designed for, and the edge of the tyre gets pulled around with it, that's why you have chicken strips, you can still ride it with no problems, you may not even notice a difference, bit its not ideal.

I used to have a Suzuki TL1000S years ago, I believe it came with a 190 rear tyre from the factory (probably because a bigger tyre looks cooler) I put on a 180 and it improved the bikes handling, quicker turn in/more responsive, I'm guessing because the 180 was more triangular, and generally speaking the wider the tyre the more round it is (look at those massive 250 rear tyres on those custom bikes) so you're not necessarily reducing the contact patch, in some cases the contact patch when lent over may actually be slightly bigger.

Yeah pretty much spot on as I remember it, it impacts turn-in and can also cause a pushing effect making you fight the thing into cornering...almost like understeer on car.

Once upon a time I actually read a huge write up about it in detail, with testing and heat readings on various sections of the carcass and etc.
It caused some of the tires to fold back into themselves, creating a flatter profile on the tire and actually "less" contact patch at certain angles on the tire.
It also impacted efficiency, mpg's and obviously would impact rolling resistance as well, meaning more drag and more hp being sucked up trying to move against the extra resistance.
Kind of like pushing down on the middle of a marshmallow really hard(remember even with good tyre/tire pressure the forces against the tire, expansion and contraction still flex, and if the tire is already partially mis-shaped in a unnatural shape/form), pushing out the outer edges to the point a section on both sides would never touch the surface.

I wish I could find the write up, but it was in a Roadracing issue somewhere that has probably long disappeared from my 1990 WERA days

Last edited:

OSCURO

Hello,

I been searching for a good pair of shoes for my girl :)

Metz M5 are the stock, It was the W ratted one, Not the H ratted. I'm not going for the Metz M5 anymore. I have some, shortlisted.

1. Pirelli Diablo Rosso II (H Ratted)
2. Metz M7 RR (W Ratted)

Can i go with the "Pirelli's H Ratted" tires, As it is much cheaper here (Only half the price of the Metz M7)?
When i checked the Tires, It was manufactured in China, The H Ratted Pirelli's. CHINA!!! Are they FAKE?
H vs W, Does H make any difference as compared to the W, For the KTM RC390?

I'M CONFUSED !!!

Waiting for your reply, Thank you.

V

ValeTN

replaced pirelli's diablo rosso II (which where just horrible) with bridgestone's battlax bt016 R pro, way better but no track test.
It is true indeed that the 150 are too wide for the bike, I've been trying so hard to close the chicken stripe but I haven't managed yet (note that I'm not the expert rider). Anyways, since I consumed the front tyre completely I started wondering whether it is possible or not to close the rear chicken stripe and reading the topic I would say it is not. Please confirm, I live in the mountains so it's not like I ride on flat narrow streets only, it's just a turn after another here.

Last edited by a moderator: