Disappointing RC390

Bonarj

This morning, I decided to clean the engine. While i was removing the covers, the bracket attached to the exhaust and where where one of the bolts for the cover is screwed on suddenly went off. Apparently, this was caused by the rusting of the bolt and /or that part of the exhaust. My question now is this, will it not affect the performance of the bike should i opt to permanently remove it? There's no way of putting / attaching it back to the exhaust other than to weld it or oversize the thread. Moreover, I noticed this crack on the air filter box. While it is just a tiny crack, this gives me so much worry as it may also affect the bike's performance. Can anyone give their advice on these? This bike has given me a pain in the ass and my regrets of buying it has reached to the heaven's saints. 20170528_155628.jpg20170528_160729.jpg20170528_160802.jpg

Last edited:

Michelle

Sorry to hear that has happened to your exhaust ,, if it was me I would take it to a shop that would tig wield it back in for you ,, should not cost that much.
As for the air box ,, not sure where you are but I see one on eflea the other day UK ,, I know its taking a chance it is ok , but I would just order a new one if it was me.....

mdabyo

Country flag
I agree, get the exhaust tig welded, should only cost a few bucks. For the air box i would JB weld it if you were not going to replace it.. that or just cover it with some automotive sealant (goop). That would seal i up and hold, its just an airbox after all.

Kootenanny

You should be able to get the exhaust bolt welded or brazed. As for the airbox, as mdabyo says, some automotve sealer goop might do it. If it was mine, I'd consider just some black duct tape. JB Weld is epoxy and may not stick very well to the plastic--you might go online and look for plastic repair products (there are some intended for exactly this kind of problem).

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Yeah take it to the dealer. Should be covered under warranty. The bit that came out of the exhaust is spot welded in so looks like it either wasn't or wasn't very well spot welded in there. TIG would be tricky because you'd have to remove the powder coating on the exhaust first, then weld, then I dunno try and use a high temp paint but that spot is RIGHT on the output of the catalytic converter in the exhaust... it's going to be one of the hottest spots on the exhaust and almost every paint would just burn right off. It'd be a bodge fix no matter how it was done so my guess is you could just ask them to replace the exhaust if they offer a repair. See how that goes. For the airbox, I -=BELIEVE=- there is a KTM dealer alert for recall on that, so it should be handled without question. Maybe Chad or Paxton can speak up to that for an actual dealer notice number you could reference if they don't agree right away.

@Bonarj, the RC390 isn't your "typical" KTM bike. It's a Bajaja bike with a KTM badge. You are going to run into some of these little things now and again, and there will be others. KTM is covering it tho, and once you get whatever is wonky with your particular bike, it'll be fine! Don't sweat the little stuff chief. You still have a head gasket failure to look forward to! ;) (which KTM will also cover, even after your warranty expires)

Bonarj

Thank you! But i have decided to return the bike to the dealer. Warranties have been breached and the option to rescind the contract vests with me. I expect a full refund on the whatever payments i made :)

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

mdabyo

Country flag
Ya i am curious as well, this all seems like wear and tear that should be fixed under warranty but nothing to void it. Good luck with your attempt to get a refund.

Bonarj

In our jurisdiction, the seller warrants that the thing sold is free from any hidden defects. Should it be breached, vendees have the option either to rescind the contract, or ask for price reduction. Of course the vendee may opt to have the bike repaired. Unfortunately, i experienced all these in just 1,200km on the clock in just a span of three months? What worst more should i expect in 5000km, 10,000km or after 1 year or two years? This bike could kill me!

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk