Ecu flash

simpletty

Country flag
We have 6 months or more of no riding here so it's a no brainer for me. If I keep the thing that is. And I'm predicting I'll be waiting at least a month before its back running again or more. So my riding season is cut short by at least that much. Thoroughly pissed

jjtard

Mail my ECU to Australia? So much for this riding season.

Long way for a flash ....AF1 Racing here in Austin TX is who I'm waiting on. They will flash any ECU that can be....how long will it be before the US sees the crack software????....now we wait... :(

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Long way for a flash ....AF1 Racing here in Austin TX is who I'm waiting on. They will flash any ECU that can be....how long will it be before the US sees the crack software????....now we wait... :(

Yeah.... still waiting to see what, if anything, AF1 can do with the ECU. Not holding my breath tho. Plus, with PCv, you can adjust maps without having to send back to AF1 for an update. If I can't do it myself, I'm not terribly interested... and we are likely still a LONG way off before we will be able to use the ECUFlash binaries on the 390's.

micahpearlman

I did some research awhile back on a home-brew crack of the ECU and it wouldn't be easy. It requires quite a bit of specialized equipment to connect to the debug lines of the ECU and a high risk of destroying the ECU. Not only that the firmware and maps are encrypted, so if you cannot un-encrypt the original firmware and maps you pretty much have to write your own firmware and maps from scratch. It may be possible to hack or reverse engineer the KTM tool but getting access to one is difficult, expensive and technically it would be illegal. So not unpossible, but a ridiculous amount of work and expense when a piggyback ECU like the PCV does what most people need it to do. If you were hellbent on not using a piggyback ECU it would be far easier just to replace the ECU all together.

jjtard

I have never liked going with PCV....always fail at some point in ownership I found (prolly just my luck). High rpm scatter, etc...I know the PCV is light years ahead of the old PCs!!! Still, I hate being forced to buy a $25 box over using the OEM ECU. Hell I remember at AF1 flashing the ECUs on GSXR's in 2004!!! Maybe KTM has a brother at PowerCommander...

Last edited:

mcleotg

If you're not keen on a piggyback have a look at the GET Athena ECU. The Italian cupbikes run them and they're a drop in replacement.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I have never liked going with PCV....always fail at some point in ownership I found (prolly just my luck). High rpm scatter, etc...I know the PCV is light years ahead of the old PCs!!! Still, I hate being forced to buy a $25 box over using the OEM ECU. Hell I remember at AF1 flashing the ECUs on GSXR's in 2004!!! Maybe KTM has a brother at PowerCommander...

They were flashing with the Teka box, I still have one of those horrible resolution tools LOL. Almost worthless...

simpletty

Country flag
in fact the Athena is neither a piggy back nor a drop in, you need to use the harness that comes with the Athena package and connect the harness to the Athena ECU. I do like the fact that you can monitor and tune the bike over Bluetooth. it appears to be out of stock at the moment

Wonder if anyone came across any real drop in replacement or stock ECU remapping solution? No one seems to have experience with ECU West in this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have contacted them by email, just awaiting response. I'll be sending my Ecu out to them this winter. I asked them to also reduce the temp setting for the fan. I've been bitten once in a bad way with the PCV so I won't use one and this looks viable to me as a better option.

=maz=

Country flag
has anyone tried their service yet? any feedback and results to share?

Seeing as these guys are local to me I would like to use their services but I am not allowed under the GCR's.
At the national round this year I watched the officials asked teams to swap out ECU's on their bikes...Use of a piggy-back system was no problem but tampering with the ECU is not permitted. I'm not sure how one of the other racers gets away with it but it isn't in my nature to protest so I'll never know.

Fasteddy

Country flag
There is mention of there work on re mapping the ride by wire on the ADV1190 on one of the adv rider forums and also on the SuperDuke.net forum as I believe they are working on the SDR 1290, it all seemed pretty positive.

simpletty

Country flag
Already have a response from them. Looking positive already. It's always nice to have an option. I would rather have a programmed Ecu over one that's controlled by a module. I'm from the automotive world and we have been programming ECU's for years. It's just my opinion but I prefer changing the internal programming vs ago between module that is capable of failing or causing issues