Help...can't get front fork springs out of tubes

btalont

Country flag
I was installing new suspension this weekend. Added the R6 rear shock. went to take the spring out of the front forks, pulled the caps and the springs are held in the sliding tubes by an aluminum cap. I tried a couple of different ways to see if it would unscrew but no luck. I had expected the springs to be right in the tube under the cap but they weren't Any one else that has changed springs...what am I missing??

cornerslider

Been there..... I ended up "making" a tool to remove the caps. I had some steel flat steel bar stock laying around, so I drilled a hole in it (the same diameter as the dampener rod). Next to that hole, I drilled two smaller holes to line up with 2 of the 4 holes on the top of the aluminum cap. I put two SHORT hardened bolts (the same diameter as the holes in the top of the cap), the shorter the better, or they will bend. Slide the tool over the dampener rod, line up the hardened bolts in the holes, an loosen the caps. The caps have locktite on them, so I doesn't hurt to put a little heat on it. I didn't heat mine (didn't know there was locktite on it) and it still came off pretty easy.

btalont

Country flag
Cornerslider... thanks for the response! I started to chew one up a bit so stopped until I got an answer. I estimated they were threaded but wasn't 100% sure. I will have to make the same tool. At least I can do it without pulling the forks again or draining the oil.Thanks again!

RC390 Fan

This job is a pain in the butt because there is potent thread locker on the threads of the caps, so make sure you apply heat before you try to remove them. I used a butane torch and it worked well.