K&n Air Filter Question

Carson01

I have been looking into getting the k&n air filter. I only do street riding. My question is would I need a pcv with just the air filter upgrade? Because I know that it is going to run leaner but do I really have to spend that much money for something that small? Also is it worth getting it without getting a pcv? And would it be more helpful or harmful(running leaner) to the bike without a pcv?

Chuditch

I felt that when I put a BMC air filter on and a ixil LX3 slip on exhaust that it was definitely starving and could have used more fuel. This was on my 2017 RC. People do the sports air filter thing and exhaust without a PCV but I wouldn't.

If you can get your local KTM dealer to flash your ECU with the map to suit the akro race exhaust, that should richen it up to compensate the extra air flow of the filter.
Its part of the package when you buy the pipe so they dont always agree to do it without purchasing the pipe. Ask very nicely ;)

vulgr

You won’t have any power gains without a tune, it would be a waste of money buying a filter and not getting a pcv + tune.
Advise I received from a fellow forum member @=Maz= + racer was “do not ride the bike until it has a pcv + dynotune”.
Whilst street riding won’t put the same stress on the engine, I wouldn’t be making changes “hoping” nothing will go wrong with an engine that has proven reliability issues

Carson01

If you can get your local KTM dealer to flash your ECU with the map to suit the akro race exhaust, that should richen it up to compensate the extra air flow of the filter.
Its part of the package when you buy the pipe so they dont always agree to do it without purchasing the pipe. Ask very nicely ;)
How much does it cost for them to flash the ECU without getting the pipe?

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
If you are not removing the lid there is no need to do anything. The filter alone in the air box makes NO difference until you do the lid mod.

Carson01

If you are not removing the lid there is no need to do anything. The filter alone in the air box makes NO difference until you do the lid mod.
So I shouldn’t just do the air filter? I should do air filter + lid mod + ecu flash?

Carson01

Well called my dealer this morning and he said that he can not do the Akra map because of the emission laws for the state. So it looks like I am going to have to stay with a stock bike until I can get a pcv.

Well called my dealer this morning and he said that he can not do the Akra map because of the emission laws for the state. So it looks like I am going to have to stay with a stock bike until I can get a pcv.

That's a shame, But I have heard that mentioned before by people in certain countries and states
Does that mean its illegal in your state for a dealer to sell and fit a KTM powerparts akrapovic pipe to a road registered bike as well?
Would using the line "for closed circuit racing use only" make any difference?