New owner/ new rider

Falkon45

Country flag
Hello everyone!!

Just bought a 17' RC390 last week. Been riding for a week, also. Lol. This bike is hilariously fun. And thankfully, very forgiving. The first time riding it, I left my driveway, into my neighbor's yard, and headed for his fence. I caught it, though. Lol. So far, I'm over of two people who own one here in Savannah, Ga. (That I know of).

Anyway, nice to meet you all!!

isaac_

Welcome to the addiction! Ask questions. Lots of them you will get frustrated. But it will be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Falkon45

Country flag
So, I've been riding for about 2 weeks. Love this bike so far. And love the fact that it's still very forgiving. Lol.

One thing I did notice is that I seem way too heavy for the bike. I'm 240 lbs (yeah. I'm fat. ). I know I'm a new rider and all, but I always feel like I'm not going fast enough to lean anymore than what I can do now .

That, and I think I have excessive sag after I sit on the bike. I'll take some measurements next time I head out to ride.

IMG_20180801_112240.jpg

mattv

Country flag
thundercats ho!

Talk to Matt at Formula390.com for suspension advice. It's not cheap but WELL worth it. You can try to adjust the stock shock in the meantime. Forks aren't adjustable =(

Regarding leaning, watch some youtube videos on proper technique, counter-steering, body position, etc. Most importantly, take it easy and don't ride beyond your limits. Confidence will come with time, experience, and proper technique.

Falkon45

Country flag
thundercats ho!

Talk to Matt at Formula390.com for suspension advice. It's not cheap but WELL worth it. You can try to adjust the stock shock in the meantime. Forks aren't adjustable =(

Regarding leaning, watch some youtube videos on proper technique, counter-steering, body position, etc. Most importantly, take it easy and don't ride beyond your limits. Confidence will come with time, experience, and proper technique.

Thanks for the advice. Actually, twist of the wrist appeared on my YouTube stream while I was cleaning the house. I picked up a little bit, but couldn't give full attention. I'll pull it up again.

The confidence is getting higher, but I'm still super cautious. I'm trying to get used to the fact that I can't enter turns like I can in a car. My entry speeds are way lower, and I'm focusing on counter steering to keep my line. I can't stay smooth at all .

I think I'm just overthinking things. But, if you look the markings on the Metzlers, in a week of riding I went from above the 3 mark to half way to the 4 mark. Lol. I still need to take the safety course, and I'm practicing trail braking. But no matter how close I set the brake lever, it seems too far away. I'll start changing things up to set the bike more for me eventually.

Chuditch

You are a little heavier than me, not by much though, and I found that the bike needed better suspension in the back definitely, probably the front too. I went the stupid expensive route with ohlins rear and bitubo carts front but mattv has given you a more reasonable alternative with Formula390.com

Don't worry about speed, you just started riding, that bike is plenty fast for now. There is a lot of good advice on riding just on youtube. The bike is fine to get faster on though, your weight shouldn't make much difference in terms of speed, as your riding improves you will get faster. Welcome to the world of the RC390, they are fun little sporties.....

Falkon45

Country flag
So, I think I'm starting to figure out turning. My entry speeds haven't improved any, but my exit speeds are getting better. I'm starting to feel more comfortable accelerating through corners instead of staying flat.

I also realized I spent more energy trying to stay upright and counter balance the lean (think, hotshoe style, but not putting my foot down), instead of leaning with the bike. Once I figured that out, I started feeling a lot better. Those wonderful little marks on the Metzlers give me some visual improvement. I went from dead on the three marks, to halfway between 3 and 4. Not bad for being gone for two weeks, and only having two days on the bike. Lol. I did experience Target fixation on a decreasing radius loop. Took a second or two to realize it and come out of it. I need to start getting myself to look ahead of the turn Instead of at the turn. Lol.

Also, I managed to get brave and top out the bike since I was putting miles on it. 101 mph (not GPS verified). Not bad, honestly. I didn't think it would make it that fast, as I'm not the most aerodynamic rider. Lol.

Now she's down until I do my 600 mile service. Then it'll be beaten like a redheaded step child.

Last edited:

Chuditch

I know you have probably figured this out but 'turning' at speed, you actually push on the side you want to turn to. Want to turn right? gently apply pressure to the right (throttle) side bar. Left, push on the left. Don't get in to any push/pull shenanigans...

Falkon45

Country flag
Yeah. Counter steering. With I first heard of it (years ago, before I started riding) it was explained to me as a racing technique. Lol. When I started researching more about steering, it was clarified about it being a basic technique. I watched a video where a guy panicked, and ran into a firetruck on a curvy road before he forgot to counter steer. I make it a point to engrain that in my mind, do I don't end up doing the same thing.