cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Long awaited post. Sorry for the delay. The Yoshimura is a good alternative option to the Akrapovic system. Each have their pros and cons. Will be discussing each along the way.

stockvsyosh.jpg
First set of data. The blue line is bone stock average blue. The green line is only installing the yosh system, and flashing the Akra map in ecu. Still retaining the stock air filter and lid/snorkel. The yosh makes more front side power BUT less peak hp and over rev, with a slight insignificant increase in peak torque. I suspect with stock map in ecu the AFR would've been leaner resulting in an even larger loss of peak horsepower.

yoshvsyoshfiltermod.jpg
The second graph shows the gains from installing the K&N filter and modifying the lid. Green is same run from before just the yosh and akra map. Red is after the filter install and lid mod. Still no PCV tuning just parts swap, at this time. You can see nice gains from filter and lid like always. Biggest bang for buck gains on these bikes. Denoted by the Akrapovic testing previously too.

yoshvsfinaltune.jpg
The third graph shows actual gains from PCV tuning. Red is final numbers after tuning and all the mods vs no tuning (blue).

akravsyosh.jpg
The final graph shows the Akra vs Yosh pipe, with same mods and being "tuned". The yosh makes better front side gains and mid-range (blue). The Akra makes more peak hp with better over rev (green). The yosh makes more peak torque though.

So final gains on this yosh system with the other stated mods are 2.32 hp, and 3.03 ft/lbs increase. Strictly bolting the exhaust system on with no other mods will loose power.

At this point in time it's a toss up/personal preference for which to use on your build. The yosh is about a full pound heavier than the Akra. The yosh system is considerably louder than the Akra system. You might have trouble at some tracks around the country with noise requirements with the yosh. The dB killers in might sneak it by, it would be close, needs to measured with professional equipment. The drawback to the yosh for track use is adding the weight up high under the tail where it doesn't need to be. The yosh for a street bike is a good choice, in terms of appearance and noise (if that's what you are looking for). I have a very nice map built for the yosh system now. It will be included with an exhuast or PCV purchase if so desired. Any other information/questions let me know.

Links to purchase below.

KTM RC390 Yoshimura Dual Exit Exaust

or

KTM RC390 Yoshimura Dual Exit Exaust

Muckabucka

Country flag
Great data Chad, and it goes to show what actually tuning the bike vs. bolting on parts gives you. With racing these bikes every tenth of a HP you can add and every pound you can lose will result in noticeable differences.
My diet starts today!!! When does the season start?

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Instructions say to remove. I didn't have a set here to try since it was going on track only bike. You might have to space out and find longer bolts for the left passenger peg mount, but other than that I think it's doable. Thanks DC if you can check and see!

emiller

Country flag
Instructions say to remove. I didn't have a set here to try since it was going on track only bike. You might have to space out and find longer bolts for the left passenger peg mount, but other than that I think it's doable. Thanks DC if you can check and see!

I ride solo most of the time but, I'm married and it will be nice to have the option to ride around with the wife.

D

Deleted member 452

Thanks for sharing your findings Chad!

Last edited by a moderator:

regular_guy

Hi, first post here. Looking at a bike that the dealer has already installed this exhaust on. Wondering about the passenger pegs as well. Count me in as one of the people who wants to know about that! Whether it works with the pegs or not, I'll hopefully end up with the bike either way. Wish me luck, I'm going to do some negotiating tomorrow and if all goes well I hope to pick up the bike in the next week or so and I'm sure I"ll have more questions!

Here's a few pics of what I'm looking at. I mean...who doesn't like a nice pic of a new bike?

IMG_0273_resized.jpgIMG_0271_resized.jpgIMG_0272_resized.jpg

Last edited:

regular_guy

Nevermind. Passenger pegs aren't important really. They're sending them to me when the bike ships from a dealership across the state. If they fit with the exhaust, good, if not, no big deal. Paid for the bike today and can pick it up Tuesday. So I'm good to go! Hopefully I"ll be able to contribute to, and gain some information from the site.

regular_guy

Got mine today with the yosh exhaust installed already. They gave me the passenger pegs in a box on the side. It looks like the heat shield on the right side, along with a spring that connects the exhaust are what's in the way of putting the pegs back on. I'll have to take a closer look, and possible take a grinder to part of the footpeg and see, but I think there's a chance I can get em back on there in the event that I needed to. I'll wait for some daylight and get some pics and see if I can post up a way to get that done.

emiller

Country flag
Got mine today with the yosh exhaust installed already. They gave me the passenger pegs in a box on the side. It looks like the heat shield on the right side, along with a spring that connects the exhaust are what's in the way of putting the pegs back on. I'll have to take a closer look, and possible take a grinder to part of the footpeg and see, but I think there's a chance I can get em back on there in the event that I needed to. I'll wait for some daylight and get some pics and see if I can post up a way to get that done.

I decided to get the competition Werkes Exhaust fits in the stock location, is not as pretty as the Yoshi but meeh... I'm being heard by drivers now.

20160107_144236.jpg20160107_144401.jpg

https://youtu.be/AtlPR6bYl3k

regular_guy

I used to have a yzf600r yamaha, (the bike that was the hot shit before the r6), also known as the "thundercat", and I traded a stock pipe to a member of another forum for a d&d because I wanted a loud one, thinking of the idea that "loud pipes save lives" and all that. Then when I put that d&d on it was pure madness. I had to wear earplugs when I rode and my friends made me stay in the back of the pack because I was damaging everyone's hearing. The yosh isn't quite that loud, but it definitely catches people's attention if you rev it hard, and driving through a tunnel it causes some resonance that can be both pleasant to the ear and a bit frightening to people in cars nearby.