It is Amazing

reenmachine

Country flag
Nobody's mad! We just don't want to see you hurt your engine.

I'd love to see pics of what you're up to as well.

User Formula390 on here did a ton of experimentation with many combinations of his own exhaust ideas and wrote up all of his results in detail with dyno charts and all. You should look it up -- there's a lot of great info there.

Drak

i will try to get a camera to post some pics and i would love for you to hear how it sounds. think sports car. its nice. and thank you for the tip.

psych0hans

Country flag
Do keep us updated with the dyno results and don't run the engine at this stage of tune for too long... Good Luck

Drak

I see talk about about physics but whats the formula. Because i took basic physics, maybe i didn't learn what you learned.

Drak

I am finding it difficult to find a motorcycle Dyno shop within a 100 miles of here. The only ones I have found are a Harley shop (they won't work on anything not Harley) and a place out in the middle of OK. that wants $900 to tune the bike, Note this was after I had to explain to him what a KTM was.

Sacape2

Oh if it helps I did attend college for ME and EE. I stopped because i was bored.

This line alone makes me not want to continue reading, but I must, for scientific purposes. I'm just extremely flabbergasted at how you attended college for two engineering majors, and still had the time to be bored. I could barely keep up with EE and a full time job.

No offense to any engineers out there, but from my experience working with them at my job in R&D, they generally know nothing about applicability and only theoretically.

Okay, I've had my coffee and read through the rest of the post. Without any dyno or tune, it's hard to discern any power gains that you feel. A butt dyno is not a dynamometer that will produce results. That intake will also soak up a lot of heat when you come to a stop or at city cruising speeds. You might want to revert back to stock lest you cause damage to your engine. Hotter air will cause predetonation. I'm not an expert with ECU's, but I've never heard of a 15-minute idle soft reset. The ECU is meant to run at certain parameters in regards to AF mixtures. If a 15-minute idle soft reset is possible (haven't looked into that just yet), the engine will "recalibrate" to hotter intake air and a leaner AF mixture. If anything, it's just relearning the idle process and will revert to a map that's suitable to your riding style. I think you should read into what intake heat soak can do to an engine.

I see you're making your own low budget project exhaust. Please do note that it takes extensive R&D to develop a proper exhaust. It's not just about "more air in, more air out" or backpressure. If you're just measuring length, chopping, welding, and bolting on a metal tube, you're already going about it the wrong way. That exhaust system needs to be properly developed to effectively scavenge the engine exhaust. What diameter pipe are you going to run? What restrictions besides bends will you use? Do you have a tuner that will be able to lean out or enrich the fuel delivery? These are some things you must take into consideration when you decide to change how the engine breathes. I'm not a professional tuner, but I do fancy myself technically experienced when it comes to engines and mechanics despite mixing up terminology.

Last edited:

NafizAliKhan

Would a cone filter in place of the airbox be alright and increase performance if you have control of AFR. I have a PCV and WB2 (autotune)

Drak

I haven't been on here in a wile, as i haven't done anything with the project. Been working. Thank you Scape2 for you input. as for how i got bored i have ADHD, and i spent far to long waiting for them to teach something you couldn't just read out of the book. I think it was mostly the teachers, but as i didn't intend to make a career out of it I dropped them.
I have other modes to deal with heat that i haven't mentioned. that is why I am not worried about heat.
There are other modes that i would like to do, but as i dont plan to put a lot of money into it and if i mess it up it may turn into more of a bomb than a bike. I have yet to decide to do it. and yes it would be more theory than fact. Other than this the exhaust that i made is more of a slip on than an over haul of the exhaust so the bikes limiting factor for the muffler is 1 7/8 pipe that comes off the motor. yes i made the muffler its self and it ranges from 2" up to 3 1/4".
And no i still haven't put a fuel management system on it. It runs overly rich on the low end to mid rang.
Also note. If you are trying to duplicate my air system. Though it is not advised as you can see. You will need a 45 degree bend and new hoses to replace the breather hoses to the air box.