Post-Wreck Whining (And Question on Repairs)

mwtillotson

Howdy there,

I am a new rider (the RC 390 is my second bike; first was stolen shortly after purchase) and I just had my first wreck last week after about 7k miles on my 390. I posted about this on /r/motorcycles, but I'd like to ask you guys about some repairs.

Here is a picture of the crash location (in front of a closed-down gas station):
If you look closely, you will see a line near the mailbox on the right-hand side. That is a steel cable. It started to rain, so I was going to pull in under the gas station overhang to put on some rain gear. I saw the orange cones, but figured... they were just orange cones. I did not see the thin steel cable stretched across behind it (grey on grey plus the rain made it basically invisible). I ran right into it, snagging the underside of my bike and throwing me over the handlebars. Not how I expected to have my first drop.

The cable got stuck under my bike (between the wheels). I had to get some help to lift it over. My left mirror, bellypan fairing, and undertray were shot to hell. Here are a couple of pictures before I got it unstuck:

Other than that, I was pretty dang lucky... except my bike started to pour coolant from where the pipe meets the engine block (you can see the green pool in the pictures above). I was quite a ways from home and didn't want to risk riding on it (fearing I'd overheat the engine if all the coolant dripped out). I am not mechanically savvy; I am very inexperienced. I had my bike towed to my dealership to have them look at it.

Besides the fairing, they say the coolant pipe and O-ring need to be replaced -- that's it. $20 for parts. However, they are quoting me $650 for the labor. That seems insane to me. Can anyone give any insight into this? I hate to pay that much, but again, I'm new to this and I am hesitant to pay $200 to have my bike towed to my place where I'll likely fail in repairing it.

I'd greatly appreciate any guidance.

ArkansasDave

Where are you located? I'm sure someone in your area can help you repair it. Sounds like a huge rip off for $650 in labor to replace a hose.

I have the lower fairing if you are looking to replace yours.

Wa2fst

Country flag
I wouldn't care what it cost I would be having that place cover my damage. they should had red flags or something across that wire.

mwtillotson

Where are you located? I'm sure someone in your area can help you repair it. Sounds like a huge rip off for $650 in labor to replace a hose.

I have the lower fairing if you are looking to replace yours.

I'm located in North Georgia. I don't know any other bikers, unfortunately.

I'll PM you about the lower fairings pieces. =)

I wouldn't care what it cost I would be having that place cover my damage. they should had red flags or something across that wire.

I called two different lawyers' offices. They both told me that because the cones were present, I would be considered trespassing and that my case would be "extremely" difficult. If I had sufficient injuries, one said I would have something. But I was able to limp away with just a broken heart.

Ryanthegreat1

How are you liking the Pilot Road 3's on the little bike? Is that the 150/70 rear?

I probably would have hit that cable too. :-( That sucks!

Last edited:

mwtillotson

How are you liking the Pilot Road 3's on the little bike? Is that the 150/70 rear?

I probably would have hit that cable too. :-( That sucks!

Hey Ryan! The tires have been great, thanks for asking. And yep, I got the 150/70 rear. I lack both the skill and experience to push them to their limits and provide accurate feedback, but I haven't had an issue with them yet (however, it's been mostly highway riding lately). I can tell that the back wheel is fatter -- felt a little odd at first, but I got used to it quickly. You can definitely make the bike wobble more easily with that fat rear.

Yeah, hitting the cable was a week ruiner for sure. Will likely mess up my plans to do a weekend tour of Tennessee and North Carolina. Including my helmet, probably $1,500+ in damages. Don't even know what purpose the damn cable was serving...

rick

That's crazy and I'm glad you're okay! Hitting a cable like that's gotta be one of the top motorcycle nightmares!

I can't imagine where the $650 in labor comes from with only $20 in parts (I assume this is not counting the cosmetic damage, and the replacement coolant). Maybe they gotta pull the engine to replace the part - It's a really unusual form of damage. Often times you can pull all the bodywork off yourself before dropping it off to save some money - I used to get a discount for that (they don't have to pull it off, store it or worry about scratching it and I save a few bucks and I also don't have to worry about them scratching it).

Sadly, I gotta agree with your lawyers though. Stringing a cable across the driveway is pretty common around here when a business closes. I think the land owners want to secure their land and make it clear that the public is not welcome on their property anymore. The cones show that someone was trying to bring additional attention to the cable. All in all, a pretty clear "No Trespassing" indication to a judge that you'd have to prove shouldn't apply to you. At least according to my GED in Internet.

sturge

Tough break...lucky you were not hurt and only minor repairs. With a bit of time and a few $$ to fix the bike you will be back riding. Most of us who have been riding for years have at least one 'story' like that to share!

Regarding repairs...Did you get a breakdown on how many hours for labor? I agree that $650 sounds ridiculous...even at $100/hour that would be 6.5 hours to replace a hose and some plastics which is total BS. You mentioned that you do not know any bikers to help. Does not have to be a 'bike' expert...anyone with some mechnical know how should be able to repair your issues (body panels and cooling hose).

I understand you do not have mechanical abilities but if you want to get out of this for a lot less money here is what I would do...
1. Find a buddy with a pickup truck (or rent a small trailer)
2. Buy 3-4 tie-down straps and a 2X6 - 8' long plank
3. Go get that badboy and bring it home.
4. Buy service manual on CD from dealer ($25)...has detailed info/pictures/tips/EVERYTHING related to RC390 repairs/service.
5. Your repairs are not that 'specialized'...find someone with mechnical ability and a few tools and study up on the areas to work on
6. Get the required parts
7. Git-R-Dun!